American Bar in London’s Savoy Hotel took the top honors at the World’s 50 Best Bars 2017. As last year’s No. 2, the bar helmed by head bartender Erik Lorincz dethroned New York City’s The Dead Rabbit Grocery and Grog—and rightly so.
Dead Rabbit, the famed bar in New York’s Financial District, had been No. 2 in 2014 and 2015 before it finally won the highest distinction last year. But this year the multilevel Irish bar that Sean Muldoon and Jack McGarry opened to much ballyhoo in 2012 dropped four spots—from No. 1 to No. 5.
Photo: World’s 50 Best Bars / American Bar at the Savoy London
Head bartender at the Savoy London’s American Bar, Erik Lorincz, has a lot be happy about: The watering hole is this year’s No. 1 bar, dethroning New York City’s Dead Rabbit.
But no matter. Geographically speaking, America still took this year’s awards by storm. Again. Thirteen of the winners hail from the United States—versus U.K’s eight. And coming up on third place is the island country of Singapore with six wins.
New York is home to seven of North Americas thirteen winners: Employees Only (No. 37), Attaboy (No. 8), The NoMad (No. 3), Mace (No. 42), Dead Rabbit Grocery and Grog (No. 5), Dante (No. 16), and BlackTail (32).
Photo: Francesco Tonelli / World’s 50 Best Bars
The NoMad bar at the NoMad Hotel was ranked No. 3 and crowned the “Best Bar in North America.”
After New York, San Francisco came in with three much-beloved watering holes: Trick Dog (No. 26), ABV (No. 46), and Tommy’s (No. 48). Miami and Chicago’s three entries were mainstays—Sweet Liberty (No. 27), Broken Shaker (No. 18), and the Windy City’s oh-so-haute Aviary (No. 41).
Dante in New York City’s West Village is one of America’s 13 winners.
Meanwhile, in the U.K, the winning entries—Oriole (No. 17), Nightjar (No. 43), and Dandelyan (No. 2), among five others—are the usual suspects from the past two years.
But things seem to be heating up in Asia. Singapore’s opulent new bar, Atlas, is ranked at No. 15 and the winner of the “Highest New Entry” award. And Taiwan’s Indulge Experimental Bistro (No. 28) is one of four additional bars in the continent.
Photo: E.K Yap / World’s 50 Best Bars
Atlas, Singapore’s “grandiloquent” bar, is this year’s “Highest New Entry.”
View all 50 bars according to rank below—or visit the award’s official page for more details.
1. AMERICAN BAR AT THE SAVOY HOTEL, LONDON, U.K(Winner of “Best Bar in Europe” and “Best Bar in the World”)
2. DANDELYAN AT THE MONDRIAN, LONDON, U.K
3. THE NOMAD AT THE NOMAD HOTEL, NEW YORK, U.S.A(Winner of “Best Bar In North America”)
4. CONNAUGHT BAR, LONDON, U.K
5. THE DEAD RABBIT, NEW YORK, U.S.A
6. THE CLUMSIES, ATHENS, GREECE
7. MANHATTAN, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE (Winner of “Best Bar In Asia”)
8. ATTABOY, NEW YORK, U.S.A
9. BAR TERMINI, LONDON, U.K
10. SPEAK LOW, SHANGHAI, CHINA
11. LITTLE RED DOOR, PARIS, FRANCE
12. HAPPINESS FORGETS, LONDON, U.K
13. BAR HIGH FIVE, TOKYO, JAPAN
14. LICORERÍA LIMANTOUR, MEXICO CITY, MEXICO(Winner of “Best Bar in Latin America”)
15. ATLAS, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE (Winner of “Highest New Entry”)
16. DANTE, NEW YORK, U.S.A
17. ORIOLE, LONDON, U.K
18. BROKEN SHAKER, MIAMI, U.S.A
19. CANDELARIA, PARIS, FRANCE
20. HIMKOK, OSLO, NORWAY
21. THE GIBSON, LONDON, U.K
22. BLACK PEARL, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA (Winner of “Best Bar In Australia” and “Legend of the List”)
23. FLORERÍA ATLÁNTICO, BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA(Winner of “Highest Climber”)
24. OPERATION DAGGER, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
25. 28 HONGKONG STREET, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
26. TRICK DOG, SAN FRANCISCO, U.S.A
27. SWEET LIBERTY, MIAMI, U.S.A
28. INDULGE EXPERIMENTAL BISTRO, TAIPEI, TAIWAN
29. LOST & FOUND, NICOSIA, CYPRUS
30. BABA AU RUM, ATHENS, GREECE
31. TIPPLING CLUB, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
32. BLACKTAIL, NEW YORK, U.S.A (Winner of “Best New Opening”)
33. JERRY THOMAS SPEAKEASY, ROME, ITALY
34. LE SYNDICAT, PARIS, FRANCE
35. TALES & SPIRITS, AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
36. BAR BENFIDDICH, TOKYO, JAPAN
37. EMPLOYEES ONLY, NEW YORK, U.S.A
38. SCHUMANN’S, MUNICH, GERMANY
39. LA FACTORIA, OLD SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
40. QUINARY, HONG KONG
41. AVIARY, CHICAGO, U.S.A
42. MACE, NEW YORK, U.S.A
42. NIGHTJAR, LONDON, U.K
44. LINJE TIO, STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
45. THE BAXTER INN, SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
46. ABV, SAN FRANCISCO, U.S.A|
47. NATIVE, SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE
48. TOMMY’S, SAN FRANCISCO, U.S.A
49. LOBSTER BAR AND GRILL AT SHANGRIL-LA HOTEL, HONG KONG
50. IMPERIAL CRAFT, TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (Winner of “Best Bar in Africa and The Middle East”)